Advance LA coaches work to support young adults and teens in a variety of ways. We focus on helping them become more successful in all areas of their adult life.
What can your coaches help with?
We identify ways we can support you in reaching your goals in the following 6 core areas:
(1) Independent Living Skills
- Manage and budget your money
- Advocate for yourself and ask for help when you need it
- Cook tasty and healthy meals
- Use public transportation or study to get a driver’s license
- Take care of your personal grooming needs
- Live on your own or with little support
(2) Executive Functioning:
- Get organized
- Set up a weekly schedule
- Manage your time
- Figure out ways to keep yourself motivated and on track
- Keep track of your goals and when you accomplish them
(3) Social Connections:
- Develop long-lasting social relationships
- Meet new people with similar interests
- Find others in your community through a variety of methods
- Learn ways to initiate and maintain healthy romantic relationships
(4) Academic Supports:
- Get help and feel prepared for with homework assignments, projects and presentations
- Learn new study skills and note-taking strategies
- Explore your interests and passions in order to figure out your academic goals
- Identify the right college or academic/vocational program for you
- Complete the college application process
- Learn how to find and access helpful services on your college campus and get one-on-one support in meeting with key people at your school
(5) Health and Wellness:
- Develop healthy eating and exercise habits
- Put together a realistic schedule to remind yourself to incorporate healthy habits into your daily routine
- Keep track of your progress and celebrate when you meet your goals
- Identify things that stress you out and learn ways to feel better
(6) Internships and Careers:
- Figure out your strengths and interests
- Explore job and career paths
- Improve your communication skills
- Learn how to successfully complete a job application, practice interview techniques, and identify strategies for keeping the job once you are offered a position
Where do we provide coaching services?
One-on-One Coaching support is provided in:
- Home Settings
- Academic Settings including College Campuses
- Work Settings
- Your Community
How does it work?
First we work with you to discuss your goals, then we assess your strengths, we make a plan, and start working with you out in the community. Throughout our time together, we monitor progress on your goals. Based on the information we collect, the team will come together to celebrate successes, as well as identify areas in need of improvement or attention, and adjust what we are doing to help you be more successful.
While our coaching sessions and the tools we use are often creative, innovative, and fun, they are firmly based on the principles of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA). ABA is an evidence-based practice that is often used in helping people achieve important goals. Within this framework, we focus on strengths and build on current skills while out in the community. We choose to work in environments where you actually need to use these skills rather than practicing them in a classroom. For example, if you need help accessing support services on your college campus, we will come with you, guide you through the process, support you in setting up necessary appointments and assist you in asking the right questions at the appointment (if needed).
At Advance LA, we work as a team and value each member’s unique contribution. Team members may include all significant people in the person’s life. For example, the team may include the youth, family members, caregivers, therapists or other service providers, the coach, and the administrators of the program. When needed, the Advance LA team will communicate with instructors, dorm personnel, employers, service providers, and others in the community to gauge progress, share resources, and identify additional needs.
Why is Advance LA coaching effective?
Our young adult and teen clients experience positive outcomes and a greater level of independence. Here’s why:
- Clearly defined, realistic goals support the young adult/teen in moving toward these goals with more confidence
- The use of evidence-based strategies and in-the-moment instruction while in the setting where you need the support the most!
- Continued progress monitoring and feedback provided to the young adult and team allows us to celebrate successes and note areas for improvement
Please contact us at email@example.com for more information or schedule an initial phone consult by calling our Advance LA office (818) 779-5198