Advance LA Transitional Living Program
Advancing young people to reach their highest potential
Who Should Apply?
The Live. Advance. LA. program is designed for young people preparing for the transition to increased independence. This may be the transition to college, the workforce, or a combination of both.
Our residents typically:
- Demonstrate average to high intelligence
- Struggle with social or communicative difficulties, learning differences, ADHD, Asperger’s disorder, or executive functioning challenges
- Exhibit behavioral stability but may need assistance in developing motivation and follow through
- Are between the ages of 18 to 29 years old.
About Advance LA’s Transitional Living Program
Live. Advance. LA. is an exciting program for young adults facing unique challenges as they prepare for their transition to independence. The program offers a supported living experience on a college campus in the Santa Monica Mountains. Based on the specific needs of each resident, the program provides experiences and opportunities to learn and practice the skills necessary to be successful in adult life.
Residents and their families are able to create an individualized program. They may choose to enroll in classes at various local college campuses or pursue career or work opportunities in the community while engaging in fulfilling social relationships. Residents are immersed in a university setting and surrounded by college-aged peers while living in a supported environment and learning the skills needed to transition to independence.
Residents and their families will create a personalized plan addressing identified needs in the following areas:
- Life Skills: may include money management, budgeting and banking, cooking, physical safety, utilizing public transportation, personal hygiene, and accountability
- Executive Functioning: skills include organization, time management, self-monitoring, and emotional control
- Social Connections: focusing on the development of healthy, long-lasting social relationships. Residents fully participate with many members of their community, including the students attending and living at the university. Through social facilitation and support residents are able to meet and interact with a variety of people.
- Academic Supports: residents may elect to pursue a bachelors or graduate degree, a GED, or take classes that would lead to a vocation of their choosing. College level classes are also offered by theCollege ofArts and Sciences at American Jewish University.
- Health and Wellness: residents incorporate health and wellness into their daily schedule. Residents have access to a wide range of activities including therapeutic horseback riding, swimming, hiking, art classes, dance, photography, and more.
- Internships and Careers: residents are encouraged to identify strengths and interests and explore possible career paths. Individual and group sessions include enhancing positive communication skills, learning job application and interview techniques, and building on strengths and abilities.
For a more detailed description, Download brochure here
At Advance LA we are always working to develop programs that meet the needs of our families. If you are interested in this transitional living program please contact us at email@example.com for more information or schedule an initial phone consult by calling our Advance LA office at (818) 779-5198