For all young adults, the transition from teenager to young adult is complex. For young adults with disabilities and their families, this transitional time can be particularly challenging, overwhelming, and exciting. As your child transitions into adulthood, many parents have unanswered questions about how to proceed.
Advance LA offers parent workshops on a variety of topics to meet your needs and respond to your unanswered questions. We recognize and understand the important roles of family members in the transition process and we are committed to offering evidence-based, practical solutions you can really use.
The workshops involve engaging instruction, real-life case examples, and active brainstorming and problem solving of your questions and concerns.
Some of the topics include:
- How to Help your Young Adult become More Independent
- Steps to Take in Planning for your Child’s Care Should Something Happen to You
- Improving Communication with your Young Adult
- Motivating your Teen or Young Adult
- Finding Supports and Resources for your Teen or Young Adult with Special Needs
- Supporting your Young Adult in Developing Last Friendships and Relationships
Stay Tuned for Information regarding our Second Annual Advance LA Conference, Innovate: Supporting Teens and Young Adults in their Transition to Independence, on April 26th 2013 (for parents and professionals) and April 27th 2013 (for teens and young adults).
Check out our calendar for up-to-date information on what we are offering.